Just like many men one of my first meals to cook was spagbol, closely followed by chilli con carne. For many years I’ve rolled this one out but I recently had a beef brisket chilli and thought, I wonder if I could do that. For those that haven’t yet mastered chilli with mince (ground) meat, I’ll add a blog soon.
Disclaimer: There’s about an hour of effort for this one, but the full time for this recipe is about 4.5 hours, you will have 3.5 hours in the middle to do that important DIY or just watch a football game.
Kitchen equipment required
- An oven proof dish with a lid (or use foil)
- A frying pan
- A small knife
- A big knife
- A (non metallic) spoon
- A saucepan
- 15 minutes preparation
- 4 hours in the oven
- 30 minutes cooking on the hob
Beef brisket chilli ingredients
- 400g Beef (the cheaper the longer you need to cook it)
- 1 Chilli pepper (2 if you like it extra hot) – you can substitute with chilli powder or crushed
- 2-3 Beef stock cubes (or gravy granules)
- Garlic (2 x cloves or a big teaspoon of the lazy stuff)
- Lemon or lime juice
- 300ml Boiling water
- Small glass of red wine
- Jalapeno peppers
- Tin of chopped tomatoes
- Kidney beans
- Half an onion
- Extra chilli flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 125 degrees celsius.
- Finely chop the garlic clove and the chilli peppers then place these into an oiled frying pan and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add the boiling water to the frying pan and crumble the stock cubes in to make the broth.
- Squeeze half a lemon into the broth and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the optional jalapenos and red wine and cook for 5-10 minute.
- Place the meat into the oven proof dish and pour the broth from the frying pan over the top and place this covered into the oven.
- Leave in the oven for approx 3.5 hours, checking that it’s still liquid, if the level falls significantly then add boiling water to the dish.
- After 3.5 hours remove the lid of the dish, add half a can of kidney beans and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Whilst this is cooking, chop half an onion and cook in the frying pan for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the frying pan and heat for another 10 minutes. Now 4 hours after putting the dish in the oven take it out.
- Add the contents of the dish to the frying pan. Keep this well stirred.
- Boil hot water for your rice and start to cook your rice.
- Taste the brisket chilli and if it’s not quite to your spice level add a little more chilli flakes.
Tip: If you are cooking for others, be aware of their hot spice level, many people prefer their chilli mild.
- Once your rice is cooked, place it in a colander and pour over boiling water, this removes excess starch.
- Place the rice in a bowl and then place your serving plate on top, flip it all over and remove the bowl, you should be left with a mountain of rice.
- Make a hole in the rice and fill with brisket chilli, then pour it over one side of the mountain and on to the plate.You’ve now made a chilli beef brisket volcano, hopefully it blows your guests rocks off.