This one is a little bit of fun but super easy to pull off. I can’t take credit for the idea, but I thought I’d give it a go.
Disclaimer: There’s about 45 minutes of effort for this one, but the full time for this recipe is about 2 hours.
Kitchen equipment required
- Sundae glasses or just nice half pint drinking glasses
- An oven tray
- A frying pan
- A small knife
- A carving knife
- A saucepan
- A masher
- 15 minutes preparation
- 1.5 hours in the oven
- 20 minutes cooking on the hob
Roast beef sundae ingredients (for 4)
- 1kg of beef joint (the cheaper the longer you need to cook it)
- 2 large potatoes (or 4 medium ones)
- Cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 Beef stock cubes (or gravy granules)
- 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
- Knob of butter
- Dash of milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 240 degrees celsius.
- Optional: cut an onion in half and place it in the oven tray.
- Place the beef joint on top of the two halves of onion.
- Place in the oven on the middle shelf and cook for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 180. Tip: For rare beef cook for approx 30 minutes more, 45 minutes for medium, 60 minutes for well done. Keep checking on the beef.
- Cut the potatoes into 8 pieces and place in a saucepan and cover with water.
- 15 minutes before your beef is ready put the heat under the potatoes.
- 5 minutes before the beef is ready place 8 cherry tomatoes into the oven pan with the beef.
- Take the beef out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Now make your gravy according to the instructions on the gravy packet, best to use a saucepan so you can keep it hot.
- Thinly slice the beef and then cut the beef into bite size strips.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain the water, add butter and milk then mash.
- Now put one cherry tomato in to the bottom of each sundae glass.
- Add half of the mash between the four glasses (keeping half the mash in the pot).
- Add a little gravy to each glass.
- Add the strips of beef in to each glass.
- Add the remaining gravy on top.
- Quickly add the mustard to the remaining mash.
- Add the rest of the mash to each glass and top with another cherry tomato.
- Serve quickly to your unsuspecting guests.